“Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich called on President Obama to apologize for comments made by actor Robert De Niro at a fundraiser supporting the president.”
“What De Niro said last night was inexcusable and the president should apologize for him. It was at an Obama fundraiser, it is exactly wrong,” Gingrich said, referring to a joke made by De Niro about the potential Republican first ladies.
“DeNiro told a crowd of about 90 people that it was “too soon” for a white first lady. The comment was made Monday night at a reception in New York City that was hosted by De Niro and his wife, and attended by First Lady Michelle Obama.”
“Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?” De Niro asked, according to a pool report from the fundraiser.
The report said the crowd roared and someone yelled “No!” as De Niro asked, “Too soon, right?”
Was what DeNiro said really inappropriate or was it just simply obvious sarcasm?
Read the rest here
- Robert DeNiro, Campaigning For President Obama, Asks: Is U.S. ‘Ready For A White First Lady?’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Robert DeNiro’s Racial First Lady Joke was an Obama No-No (npr.org)
- De Niro: Too soon for another white first lady (politico.com)
- De Niro: ‘Too soon’ for white FLOTUS (politico.com)
- Big money night for Team Obama (politico.com)